Move The UN

Friday, July 29, 2005

Remember Bolton's escapade with the USAID official?

What was the crux of the problem between John Bolton and Lynne D. Finney, now a therapist in Utah, when they worked in the General Counsel's Office at the US Agency for International Development (USAID) when Bolton mistreated her.

Finney said she was an attorney-adviser in the General Counsel's Office working on policies involving the UN Development Program. Bolton called her into his office. Finney wrote that Bolton asked her to persuade delegates from other countries to vote with the United States to weaken World Health Organization restrictions on marketing of infant formula in the developing world.

Finney said she refused because improper use of the formula could be deadly. For example, mothers in the developing world sometimes mix it with contaminated water or dilute it to make it last longer, humanitarian groups say.

Finney said that Bolton shouted that Nestle was an important company and that he was giving me a direct order from President Reagan. The Swiss company is among the top makers of formula.

"He yelled that if I didn't obey him, he would fire me," she wrote. 'I said I could not live with myself if even one baby died because of something I did. . . . He screamed that I was fired."

Read more in The Boston Globe.

So we all know what sort of reform Bolton has in store for the UN!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home